You have been referred urgently to hospital by your health practitioner because you may be at risk of cancer and your symptoms need further investigation. You can expect to be seen quickly to find out what is wrong with you.
There are many conditions that your symptoms could be linked to, including the possibility of cancer. Most people who have an urgent referral don’t have cancer.
We have produced an information sheet with the help of patient representatives which will explain why you have been referred to hospital, what to expect and what you need to do.
You can read the English version,and translated versions here by clicking on the buttons on the right. An Easyread version is coming soon.
Please make every effort to attend the first appointment you are given, which may be via telephone. However, if you cannot make the appointment or test you are given, please contact the hospital as soon as possible, so an alternative can be arranged.
Brighton & Hove Speak Out, an advocacy charity for people with learning disabilities, has created this easy read version of the Patient Information for Urgent Cancer Referral leaflet.
Please download this leaflet by clicking on the button below.
If you have been referred to hospital and have not been contacted within two weeks, please telephone the hospital you have been referred to:
East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust:
- For Conquest Hospital’s booking team – please call 0300 131 5038
- For Eastbourne District General Hospital’s booking team – please call: 0300 131 5489
The team are available Monday – Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm (excl bank holidays)
- For appointments at its hospitals in Brighton and Haywards Heath, call 0300 303 8360 or email email@example.com
- For appointments at its hospitals in Shoreham-by-Sea, Worthing and Chichester, call 01273 446067, Monday to Friday between 8.30 am and 4.30pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust:
- Call 01342 414000
Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust:
- Call 01784 884118, Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm. Or email email@example.com
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Frimley Park Hospital: call 0300 613 4201 between 8am and 5pm
- Wexham Park Hospital and Heatherwood Hospital: call 0300 614 7919 between 8.30am and 5pm
Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust:
Call 01483 464 002, Monday to Friday, between 8.30am to 4.30pm (excluding bank holidays) or email rsc-tr.OPDApptCentre@nhs.net
Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust:
Call 01737 784 000 between Monday to Friday, 8am to 6.45pm; Saturday, 8am to 1pm